Cirrhosis, the final outcome of all the Liver Diseases, is where healthy Liver cells are replaced by irreversible Scar tissue. Irregular, bumpy nodules are formed in place of smooth healthy Liver cells and the Liver gets stone hard. Scar Tissue hinders the Liver to perform its any or all the 500 plus Life functions like Detoxification, Storing Energy, Fat, Protein & Carbohydrate Metabolism, Production of Proteins, Vitamins, Minerals & Blood Clotting Factors etc. Cirrhosis of Liver is a ‘Silent Disease’, meaning most people do not know until the condition worsens.
Causes of Cirrhosis:
Cirrhosis is a Chronic Liver Disease and is caused as a result of excessive Alcoholism (Alcoholic Cirrhosis) but there are a number of other ways that the Liver can be damaged and lead to Cirrhosis of Liver. Hepatitis mainly B & C types, Fatty Liver Disease, Autoimmune Conditions, Poisons, Toxins, Hereditary Diseases like Wilson’s Disease, over usage of Medicines etc cause Liver cell damage and further Cirrhosis, the End Stage Liver Disease, Liver Failure & Death. It can take months or years to develop Cirrhosis & it depends on the underlying Cause too.
Types of Cirrhosis:
There are 2 Types of Cirrhosis -
- 1. Compensated Cirrhosis
- 2. Decompensated Cirrhosis
Compensated Cirrhosis is where the Liver has the Damage but no Symptoms appear as such & is able to maintain and perform all its important functions.
Decompensated Cirrhosisis one where Symptoms of the disease appear and Liver is not able to perform all its Functions. People with Decompensated Cirrhosis sometimes have Serious Symptoms and Complications.
Symptoms of Cirrhosis:
In early stage Cirrhosis patient may not feel any symptom, In Later on stages one may have the following Set of Symptoms –
1. Early Symptoms
2. Late Symptoms
3. Warning or Red Flag Symptoms
Early Symptoms of Cirrhosis may include –
Loss of Appetite, Loss of Weight, Feeling Unwell, Extreme Tiredness, Nausea Feeling, Vomiting Sensation, Feeling of Sick, Feeling of enlarged Abdomen, Swollen Legs, Pain & Tenderness in the Liver Area, Disturbed Sleep, Bleeding from the Nose, Bleeding from the Lower Limbs, Itching, Jaundice, Reddish Palms, Hand Tremors etc.
Late Symptoms of Cirrhosis include –
High grade Jaundice, Intense Itching, Anaemia, Hair Loss, Difficulty in Breathing, Dark Coloured Urine, Whitish Stools, Blackish Stools, Whitish Nails, Clubbed Fingers, Edema of Feet, Frequent Nose Bleed, Gum Bleed, Blood Vomiting, Late Clotting of Blood, Easy Bruising, Muscle Cramps, Shoulder Pain, Enlarged Breasts (Gynaecomastism) in Males, Shrunken Testes, Irregular Periods in Females, Loss of Interest in Sex, Impotence, Forgetfulness, Trembling Hands etc.
Warning or Red Flag Symptoms of Cirrhosis include -
- Ascites – Swelling of Abdomen due to Fluid Retension
- Oesophageal Varices– Enlarged Veins in the Oesophagus
- Gastro Intestinal Bleeding - Bleeding from Stomach
- Infection– Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis
- Coagulation Defects - Increase in Bleeding Problems
- Portal Hypertension – Increased Blood Pressure in Portal Veins
- Hepatic Encephalopathy– Decline in Brain Function
- Hepato Renal Syndrome – Progressive Kidney Failure
- Hepato Pulmonary Syndrome – Lung Complication
- Hyper Splenism – Over Active Spleen
- Liver Cancer – Hepato Cellular Carcinoma
Diagnosis of Cirrhosis:
- Physical Examination
- Blood Parameters like LFT, KFT etc.
- Urine Examination
- Imaging Studies Like Ultra Sound Abdomen, CT Scan, MRI etc
- Elastography Studies like Fibro Scan
- Liver Biopsy, Cancer Screening if required.
Cirrhosis & Best Ayurveda Treatments:
Liver is referred to as ‘Yakrit’ in Ayurveda. “Yadaathadam Karoteethi Yakrit” – meaning even if the Liver is damaged to a severe degree, it can get itself back to normalcy. It is connected to almost all the other organs of the Body, hence any damage to Liver can impair its functionalities & can give rise to innumerable complications.
In Ayurveda, the Hepato Biliary Diseases are described either in Kamala Roga (Jaundice) or in Udara Roga (Abdominal Disorders) context. Liver Diseases described in Ayurveda are – Kamala – Shakhashrita Kamala, Koshtashrita Kamala, Rudhrapata Kamala (Obstructive Jaundice), Kumbha Kamala (Hepatic Failure), Halimaka, Pandu Roga (Anaemia), Jalodara (Ascitis), Yakritdalyudhara (Heptomegaly), Yakritplihodhara (Hepato Spleenomegaly), Yakrit Kshaya (Cirrhosis of Liver), Pittashmari (Cholithiasis), Madathyaaya (Alcoholic Liver Disease), Arbudha or Grandhi (Liver Cancer) etc.
We @ Vardhan Ayurveda Hospital provide Individualized Treatment procedures according to the Symptoms, Stage & Severity of the Liver Problems including Liver Cirrhosis. Ayurvedic Treatment regimen is planned & adapted according to the predominance of dosha in each of the above-mentioned Liver Diseases.
- ‘Panchakarma Procedures’ are done for letting out the deep-rooted toxins from the Liver and the Body;
- ‘Specially Prepared Researched Medicines’ are advised to soften the Liver & stop the Scarring & Fibrosis;
- Speciality ‘Agneya Chikitsa’ – Ancient Ayurveda Gastro & Liver Care is being adopted to revitalize the Liver Structure & Function and
- Rejuvenative ‘Rasayana Chikitsa’ is advised to prevent the further Damage & thus halt or reverse the Disease Process.
- Avoiding Alcohol & ‘Dietary & Lifestyle Changes’ are advised accordingly.
We provide the Best Treatments for “Cirrhosis of Liver” with high Success rates through Ayurveda.